Friday, March 4, 2011

To the family

Yesterday I was finishing up a lesson with one of my 9 year old violin students. As usual, I was writing in her notebook and I happened upon what looked like her own writing in the back of the notebook. It read, "I will not get married." Interesting. I inquired.

-Who wrote this?
-Oh, I did.
-You don't want to get married?
-Uh, not really. I don't think so.
-Why not?
-Well, you see I want to go to law school and then I want to be a judge. Then maybe after that I will get married. 
-But you will be so lonely that whole time!
-No...I'll be too busy.

Too busy?! Oh dear. Yes, I told her emphatically that being married is wonderful and I told her she would like it and should seriously consider it. She laughed it off. I was heartbroken to hear her viewpoint on marriage. I read recently a talk by Sister Beck about the importance of defending the family. That we have the distinct responsibility as parents to teach our children the doctrine of the family because they will, like never before, have to defend the family.

Looking back on the past year of being newly married...I am so happy! Gosh, it was a little tough with the whole pregnancy thing, but now we have a beautiful baby boy. A family! It is so great! So here's to the family...  
Married in Nauvoo February 13, 2010


 Dating! 
One of our fun tricks. Okay...one of Nathan's fun tricks!


First family photo. January 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment